This soup is a great and inexpensive meal that can be easily made anytime. With only 5 ingredients found in many pantries you’ll have a delicious customizable soup every time. We offer a few customizable ingredients, however, feel free to add in your own ingredients once you create the base. The soup can be made at any time of the year and only requires simple supplies.
- 3-4 Medium potatoes
- 1 large onion
- ¼ cup butter
- 3 cups chicken broth (use vegetable stock for vegetarian soup)
- 1/3 cup cream
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- Optional – frozen vegetable, shredded cheddar cheese, bacon bits, sour cream, and chives.
- Peel and dice potatoes and onions.
- Melt the butter in a Woll Cast Iron Round Casserole dish or Smart Living Ceramic Pot over medium heat.
- Add the onion and cook for approximately one minute until the onions are completely coated in butter.
- Add the potatoes and stir. Place the lid on the pot and let the vegetables sweat for 10 minutes shaking the pot every 30 seconds to prevent sticking.
- Pour in chicken broth and simmer for about 20 minutes or until the potatoes are soft.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool approximately 20 minutes and puree the soup in a blender in small quantities about 1 cup depending on the size of the blender or using a hand blender.
- Place back into pot add cream, season with salt and pepper and mix well. (Option to add in frozen vegetables).
- Reheat and serve warm. (Option to serve with shredded cheddar cheese, bacon bits, sour cream, and chives on top.)