Baked Jalapeno Mac and Cheese
The perfect game day, holiday, or quick dinner recipie. This jalapeno mac and cheese is the perfect mix of crunchy, creamy, and spicy. For meat lovers, try adding bacon bits or diced cooked sausage before baking.
- 1 4.5 oz / 410 g package of dry elbow macaroni
- 4 tbsp of unsalted butter
- 4 tbsp of all-purpose flour
- 3 cups of 2% milk
- 5 cups of shredded cheddar cheese
- ¼ cup of diced jalapenos (fresh is best)
- 2 tsp your favorite hot sauce (optional)
- 1 cup of breadcrumbs
- ½ cup of parmesan cheese (dry)
- ½ tsp of garlic powder
- Preheat oven to 400˚F / 205˚
- Cook the macaroni according to the package and drain well.
- Melt butter on medium heat in a 9.5” / 24 cm casserole dish (i.e. WOLL logic cookware). Whisk in flour and cook for 30 seconds.
- Slowly add in milk while whisking constantly until fully incorporated/smooth.
- Once the mixture begins to thicken, slowly add in your cheddar cheese, and continue to whisk until combined.
- Take off heat, stir in jalapenos, hot sauce (optional) and cooked macaroni.
- In a separate bowl, combine breadcrumbs, parmesan cheese, and garlic. Sprinkle on top, cover, and bake in the oven for 20 minutes or until golden brown. You can briefly broil the top for extra crispness if desired.
- Remove from oven and allow to rest for approximately 5 minutes. Then serve from your beautiful casserole dish. Enjoy!